“Tell me and I’ll forget
show me and I may remember
involve me and I’ll understand.”
BOOP’s vibrant parent group provides a main source of funding for the wonderful social events and programs offered each year. Individuals can contribute in various ways. Our parents are committed and actively involved in their children’s school community.
Become involved with the BOOP Parent Group. Parent volunteers are needed for positions requiring year-long commitments, as well as positions that are shorter in term. For example:
- The Steering Committee is comprised of two co-chairs, a secretary, and a treasurer.
- The Budget Committee
- PTA Liaison
- BOOP Newsletter: The quarterly newsletter is compiled by a parent volunteer. The newsletter is a great tool for keeping families informed and connected. Classrooms also need parent volunteers as newsletter coordinators.
- Other positions include Bulletin Boards, Buddy Coordinator, Car Pool Coordinator, Fundraising, Web Master, Directory and E-Mail Lists, BOOP Tours, Social Events Chairs, Registration Packets, Classroom Coordinators.
Parents are needed and welcome to help in the classrooms during school hours. Check with your child’s teacher to volunteer for parent jobs.
You can help our school every time you shop by enrolling in Escrip and choosing Bowman Elementary PTA group 6477506 as your beneficiary.
Contact the school office to donate directly to the Bowman Open Optional Program. We are a 501c3 non-profit and can provide a tax receipt for your generous contribution.
Use your employer’s “matching funds” program and double your donation. Check with your HR office.
Help write a grant for community service projects.
Other volunteer opportunities include helping with projects that reach the larger Bowman community. These include:
- BOOP Community Service Project: BOOP has launched a new community service project to support the greater Bowman community. In collaboration with the school nurses, the parent volunteers in charge of this project have compiled a list of items needed to help children and families in our school who require assistance. So far, family groups have assembled care boxes containing items such as food, blankets, stuffed animals, specific clothing and/or household items. Our children develop a sense of understanding and empathy by participating in this outreach.
- Tanglewood Boardwalk Community Service ProjectThe Tanglewood Park Boardwalk is an all-volunteer project to build a 1,400-foot boardwalk in a city wetlands park adjacent to school property. The boardwalk, funded by nearly $40,000 in grants, will provide an easily accessible outdoor classroom. Construction is currently underway with a goal to complete the boardwalk by fall 2010.
- Science Cart Donations:Science is best taught “hands-on.” Bowman Elementary is in the process of acquiring scientific tools and equipment to supplement the Anchorage School district’s science kits. The goal is to promote science at an early age by immersing students with hands-on experiences. The original goal of purchasing dissection scopes was completed in 2009, along with a bridge and arch kit, electricity and circuitry kit and an alternate energy kit. We are continuing to look for donations from parents, employers, and companies in order to expand this project across various grade levels at Bowman.